Thursday, March 10, 2011

Skin

Kailin didn't come in the door after school today in her usual bubbly mood. I couldn't decide what was off until her eyes filled with tears and she told me her knee was hurting. She said that she'd fallen on the bus "when the bus driver told her to move seats". I originally heard the statement as "the bus driver told her NOT to move seats", but when I asked her why she was moving seats she said, "the bus driver told me to." I found that a bit odd, so I asked why she had been asked to move seats. Her eyes brimmed over and she said, "because I was calling names." Then she started sobbing. I took her in my arms and held her until she was all done with the tears. Then I asked her what happened.

She was feeling bothered by a boy she knows well and whom I know she loves like a little brother (he is Colby's age). Like she is wont to do at home lately, instead of telling an adult when she was bothered, she retaliated with name calling. We had a long chat about how she'd feel if someone was calling her names on the bus and how we don't "get back" at anyone. We also had a long chat about how proud I was that she chose to tell me the truth and how it's always better to tell the truth when you've made a mistake. Then we talked about how everyone makes mistakes. It's okay to make a mistake. What's important is to learn from your mistake, be sorry, and not do it again. She called and apologized to the little boy and she wrote the bus driver an apology note as well. I do think she's sorry she did it, and I know how hard it is to control your emotions when you wear them on your sleeve like she and I do. It doesn't make what she did right, but I understand where her five year old instincts led her. I am truly proud of her for telling me the truth without anyone reporting it to me and I'm even a little bit proud of her relatively "thin skin". It can get us in trouble, but it also means that everyone gets to know when we're happy or joyful, too.

On a FAR lighter note, I roasted a chicken for our dinner tonight. Kailin begged me alllllll afternoon to have.....yep.... the skin. She can't get enough of it. She makes me laugh with her unabashed enthusiasm for the bizarre. Oh I love her!!

No comments: