Thursday, January 2, 2014

Give me a BREAK!


Today the kids went back to school after Christmas break.  I was actually sad to see them go.  I don't know if it was that Steve was home for all of break this year or just a Christmas miracle, but we had the BEST family time. 

We had quite a few "vacation" disappointments last year.  Mumps scares, septic backup, lice (thankfully not in our home)....we stayed home or came home early more times than we had a successful getaway.  We needed some time to get away or at least be out of our day to day routine.  I needed it.  Bad.  I did get away, all by myself, to my mom's house for several days at the beginning of December.  It was lovely, it was relaxing, and it gave me some time to recoup and refresh, but this was different. 

We lived it up.  Carter, Kailin, and I saw "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" on stage.  We were surrounded by family on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  All the kids and I trooped on over to Madison to sled with cousins and shopped Toys 'R Us in their JAMMIES one day and saw Disney's "Frozen" the next (Steve was under the weather those days).  We traveled to a nearby town to see their gingerbread contest (Carter's class had an entry!) and all enjoyed picking our favorites. 


We sipped hot chocolate while playing family board games.  The Rainbow Loom was churning out bracelets and the Legos were getting good use.  There were fires in the fireplace.  The kids had an electronics extravaganza with their new Kindles and PopTarts for breakfast more days than were probably advisable.  The adults enjoyed lazy mornings sipping coffee.  Most days MOST of the mugs in our house were dirty and I loved it because it meant we were home together snuggled up and cozy.  Yes, there were fights, reminders to share and be kind, and overtired kids and cranky adults - but overwhelmingly there was love and there was joy.  It was a break from the "real world" that our family so sorely needed and although I wish it could have lasted forever (or at least one more week), I am SO thankful for the nearly two weeks we had together.

No comments: