Friday, February 14, 2014

Four is my FAVORITE!!!


This little beauty turned four almost two weeks ago.  Yes, I'm horribly behind.  No, I don't really have a fabulous excuse.  I have tons of them, but I would definitely not call them fabulous.  Life truly is busy right now, but I should have made the time.  I'm making it now because I don't ever want Molly Kate to think I wasn't thankful for the sheer joy she brings to our life. 

I can't believe Molly Kate is already four and then again even just over the past two weeks, she's growing more and more into a preschooler.  She's ready.  Her thoughts are becoming more complex and she's getting much better at finding the right words (and sometimes words that surprise me) to articulate her thoughts.  All of them.  All day.  Every day.  From the moment she wakes until she falls asleep at night.  Talking.  Usually loudly.  I have really noticed that she doesn't have to take a long pause, avert her eyes to the sky, and try to find the word any more.  I was always sorry that she was struggling, but it was kind of cute all the same.

Molly Kate is, most often, joy embodied.  She has a true zest for life and her enthusiasm cannot be contained in her little body.  Joy and excitement bubble over and spill right out to light up the room.  She is engaging and charismatic and insanely easy to love.  With each new opportunity, she flings her arms over her head, widens her eyes in delight, jumps up and down and screams "Dat is my PAYIT!!!!!  (favorite)"  It doesn't matter if I just told her we're having chicken for supper (which, incidentally is far from her "payit") or that we will soon see a friend.  It's always her "payit".  She's not being insincere - and she does not use the phrase indiscriminately - she is just truly that joyous about almost every aspect of her life.  It is truly amazing to watch her every day. 

When she is not joy embodied, she is broken hearted.  She is the easiest of our children to discipline (only by a hare, though - she and Carter share their very tender hearts) and usually a word or a glance are enough to send her into a tearful apology.  She is truly saddened if she thinks she's disappointed us or hurt someone.  While the "sarcastic sorry" is no stranger in this house, I've never heard it come from her. 

She's independent enough that my heart leaps into my throat as she matter of factly attacks another obstacle.  I know that this will serve her well in her life - at least physically, things are always going to be a challenge for her in an average height word.  Molly Kate meets those challenges head on.  She's not afraid to ask for help if she needs it, but she's most certainly going to try to do it herself, first.  She has a deep fear of lack of opportunity.  It's curious to watch it play out.  She wants to know if she can have some cheese.  She doesn't even LIKE cheese.  I tell her this.  She insists that she would like some cheese (if someone else is having some or I'm shredding it for supper), but when it is offered, she politely declines.  It isn't a control thing as much as it is that she does not want to be slighted.  I think that, too, will serve her well if she can get a handle on being ready to fight for the things that matter and let the other stuff go (like cheese).

I truly cannot wait to see what this next year brings as she starts school in the fall and continues to grow from a preschooler toward a little girl.  I'm a little melancholy seeing my last baby growing up, but I know there's no holding her back, so I'm going to try my best to enjoy the ride.

No comments: